Saturday, May 29, 2010

A Hole Rant

Take that as you like, there are many possible connotations, some of you may direct it back at me after reading this... This is my most recent ongoing rant, this is not my whole rant about the hole, only a partial. Something to think about...

If we are the greatest country in the world (and we are), and we can send a man to the moon (we really did), and we can kill millions with our nuclear arsenals (we could), and we can feed millions across the vast earth (we do), why can't we plug a simple hole in our own back yard? I realize the hole is under water, but how big of a hole are we talking about? Isn't this a matter of feet or a few yards? I realize the hole is spewing pressurized liquid gold. I would think that would make it even more important to some. Won't this impact world oil prices and everything else that goes with it? They say the hole leak is already worse than the Exxon Valdez, they say that it will get much worse. They say it will cost billions to clean up, is this a new twist to the recovery plan? A new long term fix to unemployment, give everyone jobs picking up dead fish, birds and other wildlife? I thought it was going to be roads and bridges? You say that's crazy, I know it is, because too many fine citizens would rather collect unemployment than actually work.

Quick sidebar - Proof of that point, I just ran a help wanted ad for an appointment setter position that pays $9 to $17 per hour. Not for long, but for now, I'm in a state with one of the worst unemployment rates in the country. How many resumes do you think I have received after 5 days? Four, that's right four resumes, that same ad produced 10-20 responses a day two years ago. Now before you start sending me emails telling me that's a bunch of garbage, let's be honest. You know, that you know at least one person that is not trying as hard as they can to actually work. They don't want to be "underemployed" right? Also, I hope you realize that the actual unemployment rate does not include those that have given up looking. I also don't think it counts those that have entered government sponsored education programs (retraining), that aren't looking for work. So with all that said, the number is more like one in five. So if you have heard of at least one person like that, maybe your cousin on the other side of the family :-), you know the number of actual people milking it when they could be working is huge. When I was a teenager, I worked at Taco Bell this was the early eighties, during another real tough economic time. Besides high schoolers, I remember working along college students and young and middle-aged moms. Where have they went?

Back to the hole rant - But why have the great and mighty leaders in Washington who are supposed to care about our environment still watching and waiting after six weeks? Why aren't they solving the problem, well it's a vacation weekend, it will get figured out eventually... This is really change I can believe in, I can see it, and I believe it. Hopefully by the next election America will too!

No comments: